About the city
Situated on the western bank of the Volga River, which begets the town its name, Volgograd has been a central figure throughout Russia’s storied history. The city was named Stalingrad from 1925 until 1961, the name under which its landscape and population was scarred by the Battle of Stalingrad in World War II, in which 2 million people perished.
Within the city there is a bridge across the Volga called “dancing bridge”. connects Volgograd with a satellite town Volzhsky, with passage adjacent to the northern urban fringe, which runs along the dam of the Volzhsky Hydropower Station.