icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm

Libyan arms dealer charged in Dover lorry terrorist raid

Libyan arms dealer charged in Dover lorry terrorist raid
A British court has charged three men with serious terror offences, including a suspected Libyan arms dealer. He is said to have processed an order for £18 million worth of ammunition, including anti-aircraft equipment and heavy machine guns.

Westminster Magistrates Court heard on Monday of an “extraordinary” raid by Scotland Yard officers earlier this year, in which 20 stowaways were found hidden in a lorry heading out of the UK through the port of Dover.

Among them was Libyan Abdulraouf Eshati, 28, accused of carrying records of the purchase of the heavy weapons.

“Very late on 30 November, a lorry, an articulated lorry, was stopped at the port of Dover leaving the country,” said prosecutor Mark Dawson.

Speaking about Eshati, Dawson said that documents detailing the purchase of weapons were found on his phone.

“The first document ‘Defense and Software’ relates to an order form, it seems, from a Swiss arms company for the delivery of $28.5 million dollars’ worth of heavy duty military ammunition: half a million dollars’ worth of ammunition, which is 22 tons of 7.62mm ammunition for AK47 type weaponry; $10million dollars for 275 tons of 14.5mm ammunition for heavy machine guns; and $18million dollars for 807 tons of 23mm anti-aircraft ammunition,” he said.

Still from YouTube video/Anthony Small ex boxer

Others found in the lorry included Britons Michael Koe, 33, and Simon Keeler, 43. According to court reports, both men were attempting to “flee the country” and head to Syria to fight for the Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL).

In a remarkable claim, police also arrested former British and Commonwealth boxing champion Anthony Small, 33, who is suspected of planning to join them in Syria

All three men are accused of preparing acts of terrorism and forging travel and identity documents.

Two other men also appeared in court, Hamzah Safdar, 24 and Zagum Perviaz, 35, who are both accused of running high-scale terrorist activities from a kebab shop in East London.

All the suspects will return to court on January 9.

The arrests follow the escape of British fugitive Abu Rumaysah, who fled to Syria while released on bail from UK police custody. Rumaysah boasted on social media how he was able to bypass the UK’s “shoddy security system” and how he was able to “breeze through Europe” to join the IS.

Dear readers and commenters,

We have implemented a new engine for our comment section. We hope the transition goes smoothly for all of you. Unfortunately, the comments made before the change have been lost due to a technical problem. We are working on restoring them, and hoping to see you fill up the comment section with new ones. You should still be able to log in to comment using your social-media profiles, but if you signed up under an RT profile before, you are invited to create a new profile with the new commenting system.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and looking forward to your future comments,

RT Team.

Podcasts