icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm

Former Russia captain Roman Shirokov facing 'two years of restricted freedom' for assaulting referee

Former Russia captain Roman Shirokov facing 'two years of restricted freedom' for assaulting referee
The state prosecutor is seeking to restrict the freedom of former Russian footballer Roman Shirokov for one year and 10 months over a shocking attack on a referee during an amateur match, which left the official hospitalized.

A lawyer for Nikita Danchenkov, the referee who suffered the assault, said that the former captain of the Russian national team should pay compensation of 150,000 rubles ($2,000) in addition to the freedom restrictions.

READ MORE: Disgraced ex-Russia captain faces TWO YEARS in prison after being INDICTED by Moscow prosecutors over sickening attack on referee

A prison sentence had initially been demanded for Shirokov.

Freedom restrictions would instead permit him to leave his home during certain hours and he would be prohibited from taking part in public events.

The player would also be obliged to inform police officers if he plans to leave the city.

The former Zenit and Spartak Moscow star found himself in hot water after he assaulted Danchenkov during the game in mid-August.

Also on rt.com ATTEMPTED MURDER: Prosecutors to seek more serious charge for ex-Russia captain Shirokov after vicious attack on referee (VIDEO)

He punched the referee in the face before kicking him in the head as he lay on the ground.

The freak incident attracted much public attention with Danchenkov opening legal proceedings against the player.

The footballer was originally facing a maximum sentence of two years in prison, before his possible punishment was softened.