Debris found in Mozambique ‘almost certainly’ from MH370 – Aussie authorities

© Candace Lotter
Two pieces of an aircraft that have been recovered in Mozambique likely belong to the Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 which went missing from radar screens two years ago, Australian authorities said.

“The analysis has concluded the debris is almost certainly from MH370,” Australia’s Federal Transport Minister Darren Chester said. “That such debris has been found on the east coast of Africa is consistent with drift modeling... and further affirms our search efforts in the southern Indian Ocean.”

The first piece was found by Liam Lotter, 18, in the city of Xai-Xai, Mozambique, on December 30, investigators said earlier in March.

Liam and his cousin came across the meter-long debris, which was stamped with "676EB," when walking on the beach.

“We picked it up and I turned it around and it had like a, sort of like a curve to it and you can see where it’s been like pop riveted almost, like there’s holes on the side,” he said.

The second piece with the words "NO STEP" was found by US adventurer Blaine Gibson who was making his private search for the missing plane.

"They've got to solve this mystery. We can't give up after the current search area is completed," Gibson later told Reuters.

READ MORE: ‘High possibility’ Mozambique debris belong to Boeing 777 aircraft – Malaysian minister

Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 vanished with 227 passengers and 12 crew members onboard in March 2014, during a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. The plane disappeared from radar screens shortly after takeoff. The crash site of the plane has not been found, but the search operation continues.

Meanwhile, relatives of the passengers on the plane say that Malaysian authorities haven’t given any substantial explanation about the flight’s disappearance.

READ MORE: New suspected MH370 fragment discovered on Reunion beach, same as last year’s

On February 25, more than 200 angry relatives held staff members of the airline in a hotel ballroom in Beijing, where a briefing was due to take place, for over than 10 hours. More than 100 police and paramilitary officers were deployed before the group finally released the staff members.