It’s raised tens of millions of dollars around the world for the ALS cause while taking social media by storm over the last month. Millions have tried it with varying degrees of success and madness. RT brings you 10 videos from around the globe that rock.
George W. Bush, Bill Gates and Diego Maradona now have one thing
in common – they have all completed the Ice Bucket Challenge. Far
from being a weird water sports, this is a campaign, which raises
money and awareness to try and treat Amyotrophic lateral
sclerosis (ALS), a muscle wasting disease.
The task is fairly simple. Participants have to pour a bucket of
ice cold water over their head. Those taking part have the option
to donate money to a fund or take the challenge, though many do
both. After completing the task, the participant can nominate
people to take the dare. They have 24 hours to complete it.
The craze started in late July and the Ice Bucket Challenge has
become an instant hit around the globe. Below are some of the
best… and worst attempts.
1. Ice hockey player Paul Bissonnette produced one of the most
creative attempts to pull off the Ice Bucket Challenge, with the
help of a helicopter and a mountain. He was nominated by former
teammate Keith Yandle, whose good friend is suffering from ALS.
2. US President Barack Obama may have declined to pour a bucket
over his head, but an impostor tried to give the impression that
3. This may go down as one of the strangest Ice Bucket
Challenges. However, a lack of ice, or a bucket, certainly didn't
stop these Irish farmers from having a bit of fun.
4. US comedian Seth Myers did put the Bucket message across at
the recent Emmy Awards ceremony. Drenched, he threw down the
gauntlet to Russian President Vladimir Putin to take up the
5. The world's most famous amphibian proved this is not just a
challenge for humans, even if he was a little worried that he
would not make it through the ordeal.
6. This would-be Lady Godiva did not seem to mind pouring
freezing cold water over herself. Unfortunately for her, her
7. This farmer got a little more than he bargained for in what
has to be one of the longest soakings yet in the history of the
Ice Bucket Challenge.
8. Another piece of high-powered machinery here, but they might
just be taking the word "bucket" to new extremes.
9. Water is a precious resource in Gaza, especially following
weeks of bombardment from Israeli forces. Therefore a Palestinian
journalist came up with his own unique way of raising awareness
for the plight of the children of Gaza: "The Rubble Bucket
10. Don't try this at home!!! This man decides to substitute dry
ice for 'real' ice...
Meanwhile, in Russia... Ok, this is from 2013, but this bonus
video is just the bottom of the iceberg. These Russian navy
officers decided to take a dip... in the Arctic Ocean from the
top of their nuclear-powered submarine. Well, at least you
definitely can't try that one at home...!