icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm
16 Dec, 2019 19:36

SWAT deploys gas & arrests shooting suspect in Columbus, Ohio

SWAT deploys gas & arrests shooting suspect in Columbus, Ohio

After a tense hours-long standoff with police and negotiators, a man who barricaded himself inside a house in Ohio and opened fire on officers has been taken into custody after a SWAT team fired tear gas into the residence.

Locals were advised to keep away from the area after an armed man took up a position inside a house in the city of Columbus on Monday, firing multiple rounds at police. K9 officers, SWAT units and hostage negotiators were called the scene to assist, where they tried for hours to coax the man to come out peacefully. The Columbus Police Department’s Assault Unit was also present, though police reportedly did not fire any rounds into the house.

Nearby homes were evacuated as negotiators tried to persuade the shooter into a peaceful surrender, while several schools in the area were also placed on lockdown.

Several hours into the active shooter situation, a SWAT unit finally subdued the suspect with tear gas and took him into custody, according to the Columbus Police Department. No injuries were reported in the raid.

“After about a four-hour standoff, we did have a suspect taken into custody,” said Columbus Police Commander Blake Griffith, adding that police do not believe any bystanders were in the house with the shooter.

After SWAT deployed chemical agents into the house, he came out peacefully and we had a peaceful conclusion to the incident.

Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!