icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm

VIDEO of Houses of Parliament suspected terror attack released

VIDEO of Houses of Parliament suspected terror attack released
A video of the moment a suspected terrorist drove his car into pedestrians outside the Houses of Parliament has been published by the BBC. A number of people were injured in the attack, none with serious injuries.

Metropolitan Police say that several pedestrians were injured when a silver Ford Fiesta hit barriers outside the Houses of Parliament around 8am local time on Monday. One woman is being treated in hospital for serious but not life-threatening injuries, while two others were also injured. 

The Met's Counter Terrorism Command is now leading the probe into the incident. The driver, reportedly a man in his late 20s, was arrested at the scene on suspicion of terrorist offences. He has been taken to a station in south London, police say.

Neil Basu, Scotland Yard's head of counter terrorism, said there was "no intelligence at this time of further danger" to London or the rest of the UK. 

“Given that this appears to be a deliberate attack, the method and this being an iconic site, we are treating it as a terrorist incident,” said Basu.

No arms have been found in the car and no one, except for the arrested driver, was inside. Police are still searching the vehicle and officers remain at the scene and cordons are in place to assist the investigation.

British Prime Minister Theresa May said her thoughts were with those injured in the incident. “My thoughts are with those injured in the incident in Westminster and my thanks to the emergency services for their immediate and courageous response,” the PM’s office tweeted

The Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, said: “My thoughts are with those hurt and injured outside parliament this morning in what is being treated as a terrorist incident. Our thanks go to our emergency services who responded immediately. Their bravery keeps us safe day in, day out.”

Since the Westminster Bridge attack last year, the Houses of Parliament have been surrounded by steel security barriers. In March 2017 Khalid Masood rammed crowds along Westminster Bridge, killing four people. The attacker then abandoned his car outside parliament, where he stabbed and killed PC Keith Palmer before being shot by armed police. 

DETAILS TO FOLLOW

Podcasts