Wife of Westminster attacker ‘saddened & shocked’ by husband’s actions
The wife of the man who killed four people and injured up to 50 in a terrorist attack on Parliament last week has said she is “saddened and shocked” by her husband’s actions.
Rohey Hydara, believed to be Khalid Masood’s second wife, said she condemns the attack, and that she wishes those injured in the attack a “speedy recovery.”
“I express my condolences to the families of the victims that have died, and wish a speedy recovery to all the injured,” she said in a statement released through the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS).
“I would like to request privacy for our family, especially the children, at this difficult time.”
Masood drove a 4x4 vehicle into a crowd of people on Westminster Bridge, killing three and injuring 50.
He then crashed into Parliament’s railings, got out of the car and stabbed police officer Keith Palmer to death.
Police shot Masood dead moments later.
The MPS said the inquest into the victims’ deaths will open on Wednesday at Westminster Coroner’s Court. Masood’s inquest will open the day after.
The other victims were London sixth-form college teacher Aysha Frade, 44, retired window cleaner Leslie Rhodes, 75, from South London, and US tourist Kurt Cochran, 54, who was visiting London to mark his 25th wedding anniversary.
The statement from Masood’s widow comes the morning after his mother, Janet Ajao, said she had many “tears” for the victims of the attack.
She added that she did not approve of her son’s actions, nor does she support the beliefs which led him to carry out the “atrocity.”
“I am so deeply shocked, saddened and numbed by the actions my son has taken that have killed and injured innocent people in Westminster.
“Since discovering that it was my son that was responsible I have shed many tears for the people caught up in this horrendous incident,” a statement sent through the MPS said.
“I wish to make it absolutely clear, so there can be no doubt, I do not condone his actions nor support the beliefs he held that led to him committing this atrocity.
“I wish to thank my friends, family and community from the bottom of my heart for the love and support given to us.”
Although Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) claimed responsibility for the attack, calling Masood “a soldier” of the organization, Scotland Yard said there is no evidence linking Masood to the terrorist group or Al-Qaeda.
“His methods appear to be based on low sophistication, low tech, low cost techniques copied from other attacks, and echo the rhetoric of IS leaders in terms of methodology and attacking police and civilians, but I have no evidence or information at this time that he discussed this with others,” Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, the senior national coordinator for UK counter-terrorism policing, said.
He remarked, though, that the attacker was “clearly” interested in jihad.
“I know when, where and how Masood committed his atrocities, but now I need to know why. Most importantly so do the victims and families,” Basu added, according to the BBC.
Two people from Birmingham are reportedly being held by police on suspicion of preparing terrorist attacks, while nine people have been discharged and a 32-year-old woman arrested in Manchester remains on bail until the end of March.