Devastating fire kills 73 passengers as gas stove explodes on board packed train in Pakistan (VIDEOS)
The packed train was traveling from Karachi to the city of Rawalpindi in eastern Punjab province when a gas cylinder blew up inside.
The cylinder was booked by a group of passengers who were using it to boil eggs on a gas stove when the blast happened. Cooking oil added fuel to the blaze, which spread rapidly, completely burning three cars.
Firefighters were deployed to the site, and military helicopters were flown in to airlift the injured.
At least 73 people perished in the incident. “Most deaths occurred from people jumping off the train,” Railways Minister Sheikh Rasheed Ahmad told Geo News. The bodies of those left inside were charred beyond recognition.
Prime Minister Imran Khan said he is “deeply saddened by the terrible tragedy,” and ordered an “immediate” investigation.
Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!