Bataclan 'throws out' Eagles of Death Metal members over controversial comments
The frontman, along with another band member, was turned away from the Sting concert on Saturday after previously making bizarre allegations that Muslim security staff at the venue were somehow involved in the deadly attack on November 13, 2015, according to AFP.
Bataclan co-owner Jules Frutos said he was angered by Hughes’ controversial suggestions and told AFP he was fed up with repeatedly hearing Hughes’ conspiracy theories following the attacks.
“They came, I threw them out – there are things you can’t forgive,” Frutos said. “He makes these incredibly false declarations every two months. It is madness, accusing our security of being complicit with the terrorists... Enough. Zero. This has to stop.”
The band’s manager, Marc Pollack, however, has denied the allegations. Speaking to Billboard, Pollack said that although Hughes is in Paris, he “never even tried entering the club."
"This coward Jules Frutos feels the need to soil his own club’s reopening by spreading false tales to the press, and tainting a wonderful opportunity that could’ve been used to spread peace and love, to further spread mean spirited words of hate," Pollack said.
The California band was dropped from two French festivals earlier this year after the frontman, a supporter of Donald Trump and gun ownership rights, made the claims about the Muslim staff playing a role in the attacks.
Then, in an interview published in conservative Taki’s Magazine, Hughes called for extra scrutiny of western Muslims and also falsely said he saw Muslims “celebrating in the street during the attack.”
“I saw it with my own eyes. In real time! How did they know what was going on? There must have been coordination,” Hughes said in the interview.
The singer apologized after the outbursts and blamed the trauma of the attack for his comments.
Prior to making the claims, Hughes had said he wanted to be the first to play at the Bataclan for the reopening.
Eagles of Death Metal returned to Paris twice after last year’s attack, once to share a stage with U2 in December, followed by a special performance for survivors at the Olympia concert hall in February.