icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm

Mrs Nevada pageant interrupted MIDWAY after officials swoop on venue citing coronavirus guidelines violation (VIDEO)

Mrs Nevada pageant interrupted MIDWAY after officials swoop on venue citing coronavirus guidelines violation (VIDEO)
Police and officials showed up at a Mrs Nevada beauty contest on Sunday, though it was not their appreciation for beauty that drove them there, but rather an order to shut down the event due to the presence of more than 50 people.

The contest was held at the Ahern Hotel's convention center Sunday evening. The event featured local beauties, their families and friends and other spectators seated in the ballroom.

The pageant was apparently already underway when members of the Las Vegas Department of Business Licensing arrived, accompanied by police. When a voice via a loudspeaker notified attendees of the officials’ presence, the unsuspecting audience erupted in applause, which was short-lived, however, after the goal of the surprise visit was announced.

Officials said that the event could not continue in that form because it was in violation of Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak’s coronavirus guidelines that prohibits gatherings of more than 50 people, according to the event organizers.

The Las Vegas Review Journal reported that there were about 200 people in attendance at the time. To salvage the pageant, the organizer asked all guests that were not participants or directly involved with the organization to leave.

Though the decision was met with ‘boos’ from the crowd, after the spectators complied with the order, the event resumed behind closed doors, with Ashley Tesoro emerging as the winner.

While the city said that they “attempted to notify the Ahern Hotel that the pageant would violate the governor's directives” earlier in the week, and claimed that their “licensing officer was escorted off [the] property by hotel security,” some of those involved with pageant organizers argued that the raid was bitter revenge for the hotel previously hosting an ‘Evangelicals for Trump’ event.

“This is punishment for hosting the Evangelicals for Trump event because last night's slap on the wrist made no sense,” Amy Tarkanian, a judge at the pageant, fumed.

Kari Deike, a tabulator at the event, echoed Tarkanian, telling News 3 that contestants were “just unfortunate victims” of the governor's “direct retaliation” for the previous Trump rally. 

Also on rt.com Americans give up citizenship in record-smashing numbers as expats find ‘pandemic & political climate too much to bear’ – report

The hotel was slapped with a $250 fine for hosting the pro-Trump event last week, drawing ire from Sisolak, who tweeted that he was “dismayed” to see “the callous and dangerous behavior displayed” by the attendees of the Trump rally that took place several days before the doomed pageant. 

Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!

Podcasts