Bomb threat reported at Miami children’s hospital
Officers from the Miami-Dade Police Department blocked off at least one entrance to Nicklaus Children’s Hospital on Friday, responding to a bomb threat and an active shooter situation on the premises.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue confirmed bomb threat and active shooter situation at Nicklaus Children's Hospital was reported. No injuries so far.— Victor Oquendo (@VictorLocal10) July 8, 2016
Police arrived at the hospital around 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time. No injuries have been reported so far.
Law enforcement rerouted local traffic away from the scene.
Police sources tell NBC 6 they are heading to West Miami and Children's Hospital to a call of an active shooter or bomb threat. @nbc6— Willard Shepard (@WillardNBC6) July 8, 2016
There's a gunmen in Miami Children's and my aunt is there— A (@lyssaDiazz) July 8, 2016
She's locked in a room with a cop and she's still there waiting for the shots to end— A (@lyssaDiazz) July 8, 2016
The hospital later said that no shooting occurred on campus, WPLG reported.
The premises was partially evacuated as law enforcement searched the campus. Miami-Dade police are calling the response a precautionary measure.
Miami-Dade police told RT that they are investigating the reports, but would not give any further details.
The hospital could not respond to request for comments.
Nicklaus Children’s Hospital is South Florida’s only hospital exclusively for children, and has a staff of more than 650 physicians and over 130 pediatric specialists.