Another woman accuses Bill Cosby of rape
Music industry publicist and journalist Joan Tarshis wrote in a Hollywood Elsewhere essay that Cosby pursued her when they both worked at Universal Studios. She is the second woman in a week to accuse Cosby of rape, and one of many women over the past several years to make such allegations.
Tarshis, a former actress, wrote that Cosby would often encourage her to drink alcohol. She said that at one point, the two were working together when she fell unconscious at his bungalow after consuming a cocktail he made for her.
"The next thing I remember was coming to on his couch while being undressed," Tarshis wrote. "I thought I was being clever when I told him I had an infection and he would catch it and his wife would know he had sex with someone. But he just found another orifice to use. I was sickened by what was happening to me and shocked that this man I had idolized was now raping me. Of course I told no one."
Tarshis wrote that during a second alleged attack, the pair had been drinking while attending an event at a music theater. She began to feel weak, and "the next thing I remember was waking up in his bed back at the Sherry, naked," Tarshis wrote.
Tarshis said she has now come forward "as more and more of his rape victims have come forward, all telling similar stories, the time is right to join them."
Last week, one of Cosby’s accusers, Barbara Bowman, wrote in the Washington Post - in an essay titled "Bill Cosby raped me. Why did it take 30 years for people to believe my story?" - that she was drugged then raped, though she said she never saw drugs.
Bowman’s accusations came days after Cosby, or whomever controls Cosby’s official Twitter account, posted a picture of himself on the social network and asked users to “meme” him. The seemingly-innocent solicitation backfired, as users took the opportunity to recall the numerous allegations of sexual assault in the comedian’s past.
— Henster (@Soft_Serve) November 10, 2014
— E.J. Coughlin (@ejc) November 10, 2014
— Trill Withers (@TylerIAm) November 10, 2014
— Jason Steele (@FilmCow) November 10, 2014
In late October, bemoaning Cosby’s “smuggest old black man public persona,” comedian Hannibal Buress called Cosby a rapist during a routine in Philadelphia. Video of that routine quickly went viral and brought the issue into the headlines once again.
Cosby refused to address the new allegations when pressed by NPR’s 'Weekend Edition,' aired on Saturday. His attorney, John P. Schmitt, released a statement on Sunday saying Cosby would not comment on the claims made against him.
"Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced. The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment. He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work. There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives."
Cosby has never been charged for any alleged crimes despite repeated accusations. In late 2006, he settled a civil suit with one woman, Andrea Constand, who claimed Cosby drugged, then sexually molested her in early 2004. Authorities never charged Cosby, citing lack of evidence. The settlement came after Constand’s lawyers said they found 13 Jane Doe witnesses with similar claims.