Hundreds of anti-fascists foil neo-Nazi march in Liverpool, several arrests made

Clashes erupted ahead of a planned “White Man March” called by a neo-Nazi group in Liverpool as anti-fascists countered the protest. Several arrests were made and the neo-Nazi march was canceled due to public outrage.

The neo-Nazi rally, organized by the National Action Group, which local media branded as the largest and the most visible action of its kind in the UK in decades, was to begin at 2 p.m. local time near Lime Street Station and end at Liverpool's Pier Head. It was apparently called off due to massive popular resentment.

Initially about 150 National Action Group supporters were expected to take part in the rally. About 150 neo-Nazis came to Liverpool, but faced hundreds of anti-fascists and outraged locals protesting against the march, as could be seen from images posted on social media.

The tensions ran high even before the beginning of the rallies as the anti-fascists tried to confront the neo-Nazis gathering for the march. A group of about 10 neo-Nazis was seen contained inside a train station by police with the protesters attempting to storm the building and break in, RT’s Anastasia Churkina reported from the scene.

Many locals took to the streets to protest against the “White Man March” with banners reading: “Not in our city.” Plastic bottles were thrown at the neo-Nazis.

Several scuffles broke out in the streets with police trying to contain the crowds. Arrests were made, although the exact number of those detained is still unknown.
Eventually, the National Action Group decided to call off the march as the neo-Nazis were apparently heavily outnumbered by the protesters.

The neo-Nazis dispersed and left the city, although there were reports suggesting they had tried to march in a different location. Those reports were disproved later.

The anti-fascists decided to push ahead with their counter-march. They went through Liverpool shouting “Migrants in, fascists out! That’s what we are all about!” and waving flags.

The situation calmed down, with the anti-fascist march transforming into a peaceful demonstration as the protesters celebrated their victory, local media reported.

The mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, thanked city residents for countering the neo-Nazi march. Anderson also used his Twitter account to expose threats he said he received from the National Action Group that vowed the city would “go up in flames” if the march was stopped.

The NAG’s plans to hold a neo-Nazi march in Liverpool also caused a broad wave of public indignation and criticism in the social media where a campaign aimed at preventing the White Man March was launched.