Woods determined to get back on top

US golfer Tiger Woods announces the field for the Chevron World Challenge at the Hollywood & Highland Courtyard in Hollywood, California, on October 11, 2011 (AFP Photo / Valerie Macon)
Golf's former number one Tiger Woods says he hopes playing a full schedule next year will see him climb back up the world rankings.

The American star is preparing for this week's Chevron Challenge in Los Angeles, but only just qualified for the event after recently dropping out of the world's top 50.

Woods says his fall from the top is partly a result of long lay-offs due to health and personal problems.

He finished 30th at last week’s Frys.com Open – his first tournament in two months, and has either missed or played badly in this year's majors.

But next season he plans to compete more often, and believes that will see him return to form.

“I had points rolling off from '09. I had a very good year that year. I won, what, seven times around the world, so all those points are coming off. Unfortunately, I fell quite a bit, and I fell fast. Good news is, by playing next year, I have no points coming off, so I can start building,” Woods said, adding:

"I'm certainly going to play a full schedule next year. It's something I'm looking forward to. I thought this year would have been nice to have played a full schedule, unfortunately I got hurt. Just didn't heal fast, so I'm looking forward to this next season, there is no doubt."

RT Sport powered by