icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm
13 May, 2019 17:43

Conor McGregor charges dropped after Miami Beach 'phone attack' as victim refuses US return

Conor McGregor charges dropped after Miami Beach 'phone attack' as victim refuses US return

Miami prosecutors have dropped charges against UFC superstar Conor McGregor stemming from an incident in which the Irishman allegedly smashed a fan's cellphone outside a Miami Beach nightclub on March 11.

Dublin native McGregor was detained by police on 'strong-arm robbery and criminal mischief' charges after the early morning incident in which he is also alleged to have stamped on the cell phone and subsequently stole it after a fan attempted to take a photograph with the former two-weight UFC champion.

Also on rt.com New CCTV VIDEO shows enraged McGregor stomping on fan's phone

However, the matter appears to have come to a close after the victim, British national Ahmed Abdirzak, dropped the charges after reaching a settlement deal with McGregor's representatives, as announced in a Monday hearing in which neither the fighter nor Abdirzak were present. McGregor had initially pleaded not guilty to the charges.

"The victim of the crime does not wish to return to the United States and prosecute this case," Prosecutor Khalil Madani said.

Samuel Rabin, attorney for McGregor, agreed: "I think this was the appropriate resolution of this case." 

The incident marked the latest of several incidents involving McGregor and various law enforcement services. He was arrested in Brooklyn, New York in April 2018 for attacking a bus containing several UFC fighters, including Khabib Nurmagomedov. 

The 30-year-old is also understood to be under investigation in Ireland stemming from sexual assault allegations late last year. 

McGregor announced his unexpected retirement from mixed martial arts earlier this year but has since appeared to recant this several times on social media in recent months. He has engaged in a months-long social media feud with current UFC 155lb champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and has made public his desire for a rematch.

The Russian fighter defeated McGregor by fourth round submission when they met in the UFC 229 main event in Las Vegas last October.