icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm
5 May, 2019 11:23

'Let's dance!': 'Cowboy' Cerrone reignites feud with Conor McGregor after UFC Ottawa win

'Let's dance!': 'Cowboy' Cerrone reignites feud with Conor McGregor after UFC Ottawa win

Donald 'Cowboy' Cerrone fired a shot at former UFC 'champ champ' Conor McGregor following his conclusive five-round decision victory against Al Iaquinta in the main event of the UFC's event in Ottawa on Saturday night.

Cerrone was awarded a clear-cut win on the scorecards by 49-45, 49-45, 49-46 against the 4th ranked Iaquinta, joining Khabib Nurmagomedov as the only fighter to have bested the New Yorker in the Octagon since 2014 in the process, and afterwards called for a bout with the Irishman who hasn't competed since his loss to Nurmagomedov in October of last year. 

'Cowboy' was in command throughout, save a for a few moments in the second round where he was stung by counter shots from Iaquinta, but it was clear as to which of the two fighters imposed their will more effectively over the course of the contest which was awarded 'Fight of the Night' honors - and afterwards he made clear his preferred option for his next outing.

"Let's dance," was Cerrone's response when TSN asked him about McGregor post-fight.

"If he wants to come back in July, we're ready. Fourth of July weekend, I love international fight weekend. I think it would make perfect sense to get Conor and me on it."

Following Cerrone's January win against Alexander Hernandez, McGregor appeared excited by the suggestion of a fight with the American, holder of the record for the most wins by any fighter inside the UFC cage. 

"For a fight like that Donald, I’ll fight you. Congratulations," McGregor tweeted in the wake of that particular fight, though speculation had cooled since given the uncertainty surrounding McGregor's fighting future and his apparent desire to rematch lightweight champion Nurmagomedov at the earliest possible opportunity. 

Also on rt.com 'April or July': Conor McGregor challenged by 'Cowboy' Cerrone to sign fight agreement

The Russian is almost certain to face interim 155lb champ Dustin Poirier in a September clash in Abu Dhabi, very much leaving a window open for McGregor to accept a fight in the meantime but if those plans fall apart Cerrone says that he is the most deserving in the talent-rich division to be considered to be the next title challenger.

"I just think if something happens and they need somebody else for a title shot, it better be me," Cerrone said to UFC News.

"I've done so much in the sport, they would be foolish not to. I feel entitled."

Podcasts