Bahraini court confirms jail terms for medics who aided protesters
On Monday, Attorney General Abdul-Rahman al-Sayed said the country’s Court of Cassation rejected all of the defendants’ appeals and upheld the verdicts, BNA said.
The nine medics were among the twenty individuals tried by a Bahraini military tribunal in September 2011. The tribunal charged the doctors with felonies for their role in the February protests, which included treating antigovernment activists wounded by security forces and reporting those injuries to foreign media. Some of the medics also participated in the protests.
The Bahraini government accused them of crimes including occupying a hospital and inciting hatred towards the country’s ruling royal family.
The whole process was conducted under the ruling family's control, Khalil al-Marzooq, a member of the Bahraini opposition al-Wefaq Party, told RT.
“The whole judicial process in Bahrain is sort of dependent of the direction from the ruling family. And what happened today was headed by the ruling family members,” he said.
Bahraini medical doctor Rulla al-Safar (R) hugs a relative in Abu Qua'a Village, west of Manama on June 14, 2012. (AFP Photo/Mohammed Al-Shaikh)
Al-Marzooq accuses the government of applying “double standards,” saying the country's courts only pays attention to and punishes protesters, while totally ignoring killers and torturers if they have the right connections.
Bahraini political activist Saeed Shehabi calls the decision to reject the appeal “political.”
“To make them innocent would be to go against the reputation of the regime. They are saying, ‘we are here, we determine the sentences, and no one can change our mind – whether it’s the international human rights organizations or political activists,’” Shehabi told RT.
A June 2012 retrial by a civilian court resulted in the acquittal of nine of the health workers, and a reduction of sentences for nine others. Ali al-Ekri, whom the government labeled the ringleader of the doctors and nurses on trial, received a five-year sentence. The nine appealed the decision to Bahrain’s top court.
Two medics who had previously been sentenced to 15 years each did not appeal their cases, and are believed to be in hiding.
The case sparked international criticism of the Bahraini government. Several human rights groups and professional medical organizations called the sentence an unjust retaliation against people attempting to simply do their jobs amidst the crackdown on the opposition.
Medics treat a wounded Bahraini woman at a hospital in Manama on February 18, 2011 after police opened fire on anti-regime protesters, wounding dozens of them, a day after four people were killed and some 200 wounded. (AFP Photo/Joseph Eid)