Manchester police carry out raids, arrest 2 suspects in connection with suicide bomber
The 19-year-old man was arrested during a search operation in Gorton on the outskirts of the city. He is being held on suspicion of offenses contrary to the terrorism act.
Earlier in the day police reported raids and an arrest at other locations.
Further Update on Searches in Gorton and Rusholme. pic.twitter.com/xi6VoaR49k— G M Police (@gmpolice) May 28, 2017
“Today, Sunday 28 May 2017, officers investigating the attack at the Manchester Arena have executed a warrant at an address in Moss Side,” police said on Sunday in a statement on Twitter. “A search is currently ongoing.”
An “explosion,” believed to be carried out by the police in order to blow open a door, was heard at the site of the raid, local media report. Multiple police cars, officers, and dogs attended the scene.
Neighbours say they heard a loud bang. Seems a door has been blown off. Residents not being allowed in to the street. pic.twitter.com/lVfRHRMUoK— Sean Seddon (@seddonnews) 28 мая 2017 г.
Police also arrested a 25-year-old suspect in connection with the Monday suicide blast.
“Officers have also arrested a 25-year-old man in the Old Trafford area on suspicion of offences contrary to the terrorism act,” police said.
15 people in total have been arrested during the large-scale investigation of the bombing, and 13 of them remain in custody. Two people were released after questioning without charge.
More dogs arriving. Quantock Street completely sealed off and crawling with officers, armed and otherwise. pic.twitter.com/FqkAhQ01O7— Sean Seddon (@seddonnews) 28 мая 2017 г.
British police launched large-scale counterterrorism operations in several cities following the suicide bombing at the Manchester Arena on Monday, which killed 22 and injured over 100 concertgoers.
Timeline of events on Mondays attack at the Arena pic.twitter.com/DINIv8KS7L— G M Police (@gmpolice) 28 мая 2017 г.
Police searched multiple locations in Manchester and “seized thousands of exhibits that are now being assessed,” Chief Constable Ian Hopkins told reporters on Friday.
Late Saturday, police released CCTV stills of bombing suspect Salman Abedi – wearing glasses and dark clothes hours before the deadly blast – seeking information about his movements and whereabouts between 18 May and the attack.