icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm
28 May, 2017 15:02

Manchester police carry out raids, arrest 2 suspects in connection with suicide bomber

Police investigating the deadly suicide bomb attack in Manchester have continued their raids and searches. Two men, aged 25 and 19 were arrested on Sunday. Thirteen people are now in custody on suspicion of being connected to the bomber, Salman Abedi, who blew himself up killing 22 people.

The 19-year-old man was arrested during a search operation in Gorton on the outskirts of the city.  He is being held on suspicion of offenses contrary to the terrorism act. 

Earlier in the day police reported raids and an arrest at other locations.

“Today, Sunday 28 May 2017, officers investigating the attack at the Manchester Arena have executed a warrant at an address in Moss Side,” police said on Sunday in a statement on Twitter. “A search is currently ongoing.”

READ MORE: Members of Manchester bomber network may still be on the loose – UK home secretary

An “explosion,” believed to be carried out by the police in order to blow open a door, was heard at the site of the raid, local media report. Multiple police cars, officers, and dogs attended the scene.

Police also arrested a 25-year-old suspect in connection with the Monday suicide blast.

“Officers have also arrested a 25-year-old man in the Old Trafford area on suspicion of offences contrary to the terrorism act,” police said.

15 people in total have been arrested during the large-scale investigation of the bombing, and 13 of them remain in custody. Two people were released after questioning without charge.

British police launched large-scale counterterrorism operations in several cities following the suicide bombing at the Manchester Arena on Monday, which killed 22 and injured over 100 concertgoers.

Police searched multiple locations in Manchester and “seized thousands of exhibits that are now being assessed,” Chief Constable Ian Hopkins told reporters on Friday.

Late Saturday, police released CCTV stills of bombing suspect Salman Abedi – wearing glasses and dark clothes hours before the deadly blast – seeking information about his movements and whereabouts between 18 May and the attack.