icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm

Japanese father stabs 12 yo son to death for not doing homework

Japanese father stabs 12 yo son to death for not doing homework
A 12-year-old boy has been stabbed to death by his father because he reportedly did not study for a school entrance exam in Japan’s Aichi prefecture.

Kengo Satake, 48, told police he “argued with his son for not studying” for a test at a private junior high school, according to public broadcaster NHK.

“The father stabbed his son in the chest with a kitchen knife,” a spokesperson said.

Parents are often under pressure for their children to attend prestigious schools as a sign of respect and competition for entry to the top schools is intense in Japan.

Satake’s son, Ryota, was rushed to hospital following the stabbing, but died from blood loss, police from the central city of Nagoya told AFP.

READ MORE Honey, I shrunk the kids: Japan's child population hits historic low

Satake was arrested after hospital staff informed the police of the attack, the spokesperson added.

The father told police that he stabbed the boy “by mistake” while his mother was at work.

Ryota was hoping to attend one of the leading private schools in Aichi prefecture and was often scolded by his father over his studies, NHK said after interviewing people who know the family.

READ MORE: ‘No business being parents’: Japanese couple lambasted on Twitter for leaving son in woods

Japan was recently in the spotlight after a couple left their seven-year-old son in the woods as punishment for throwing stones at passersby.

The Japanese military launched a wide-scale search operation for the boy in a dense forest on the island of Hokkaido, but luckily the child was found sheltering in a military outbuilding after six days.

Dear readers and commenters,

We have implemented a new engine for our comment section. We hope the transition goes smoothly for all of you. Unfortunately, the comments made before the change have been lost due to a technical problem. We are working on restoring them, and hoping to see you fill up the comment section with new ones. You should still be able to log in to comment using your social-media profiles, but if you signed up under an RT profile before, you are invited to create a new profile with the new commenting system.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and looking forward to your future comments,

RT Team.