Facebook mistakenly deleted Mark Zuckerberg’s ‘fake news’ posts
Up to 10 of Zuckerberg’s posts were affected on Tuesday, with a Facebook spokesperson telling the Verge that Zuckerberg’s account had not been compromised.
“These posts were removed by mistake,” the spokesperson said. “This was caused by an error in one of our systems and the posts have now been restored. Mark’s account was not compromised and he stands behind the words he posts.”
His first post was in reference to the site’s issues with fake news after accusations emerged of misinformation spread on Facebook potentially being responsible for swinging the US elections.
Initially published on November 12, Zuckerberg said in the post that “more than 99% of what people see is authentic” on the site.
“The hoaxes that do exist are not limited to one partisan view, or even to politics,” Zuckerberg added. “Overall, this makes it extremely unlikely hoaxes changed the outcome of this election in one direction or the other.”
Then, on November 19, the CEO posted another update, giving more detail on Facebook’s plan on how it will tackle fake news. According to the Verge, the post disappeared and was replaced with an error message, but has now also been restored.
Earlier in November, a virus resulted in the site posting memorial messages about user profile pages, including Zuckerberg, declaring they had died.
Facebook apologized for the blunder, swiftly bringing everyone back to life, calling the mishap a “terrible error.”