Not in the ‘House of Mouse’: Disney bans selfie-sticks

Reuters / Mike Blake
The Walt Disney Company has announced it will ban selfie-sticks from all its theme parks, citing safety concerns for both visitors and employees. The ban will take effect at the end of June.

Beginning June 30, visitors to the world-renowned theme park in Orlando, Florida will now have to check their selfie-stick at the entrance, or take it back to their car or hotel room, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Selfie-sticks will also be outlawed at Disneyland Resort in California. Disney's parks in Paris and Hong Kong will begin prohibiting the prop on July 1.

"We strive to provide a great experience for the entire family, and unfortunately selfie-sticks have become a growing safety concern for both our guests and cast," Disney World spokeswoman Kim Prunty said.

Disney officials did not say if any specific incidents caused the rule change, only that several recent events prompted the move. Earlier this week, a roller coaster at Disney’s California Adventure park was stalled and closed for an hour after a passenger used a selfie-stick to capture the moment.

READ MORE: Selfie sticks banned at British National Gallery, Palace of Versailles

Disney World said guests will be notified of the rule change at the park's hotels and parking lots, as well as the entertainment attraction's website.

Visitors were already barred from using selfie-sticks on certain Disney World rides, such as Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

View-obstructing selfie-sticks have been banned at other public venues, including some museums and sports stadiums, as well as pop-culture convention Comic-Con, and major outdoor music festivals like Lollapalooza and Coachella, for instance.

Disney does not allow a host of other items into its theme parks, including folding chairs, inline skates, and “other items that we determine may be harmful or disruptive.”