icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm
1 May, 2015 00:42

Philadelphia #FreddieGray solidarity march pushes through police line (VIDEO)

Brief scuffles between activists and policemen took place downtown Philadelphia, as residents of the nation’s first capital, marching in solidarity with the Baltimore protests over Freddie Gray’s death, pushed through the police line.


Pushing and shoving started around 8:00pm local time, as hundreds marched from Philadelphia's City Hall into Rittenhouse Square. As the ‘Philly Is Baltimore’ protest march proceeded, police attempted to prevent the activists from moving further to the roads above the Vine Street Expressway.

Bloodied kid emerged from scuffle. Hard to tell who did what #PhillyisBaltimorepic.twitter.com/o8V7YWVTI6

— Bobby Allyn (@BobbyAllyn) May 1, 2015

Police had reportedly used batons to fend off the crowd. Some light injuries have been reported in the tense exchange. A police hat was knocked off a police officer and kicked around in the crowd, while cops could be seen removing some protesters who became too rowdy.

VIDEO: Some pushing going on in Philadelphia solidarity protest for #Baltimore - @Vellastrationspic.twitter.com/8AhtL6BQHg

— Conflict News (@rConflictNews) April 30, 2015

After a few minutes of tense exchanges between the authorities and activists, the police yelled and let the protesters through. Reports of several arrests are being circulated on social media.

Hit with baton #PhillyisBaltimorepic.twitter.com/Yg3yLGl0CD

— Joshua Scott Albert (@jpegjoshua) May 1, 2015

The rally began peacefully at Dilworth Plaza and finished just shortly before 6:00pm. Yet one large group remained and continued marching towards the City Hall area.

BREAKING: #PhillyisBaltimore Protesters Clash With Cops At Police Headquarters WATCH LIVE: http://t.co/qBhyILubhxpic.twitter.com/pLQKrZD4Yt

— Breaking News (@Breaking911) May 1, 2015

Following scuffles with police outside Vine Street, activists on the ground reported the crowds moving towards Philadelphia’s federal prison chanting “you are not alone!” There were some unconfirmed reports of protesters clashing with authorities outside the city's police headquarters.

More tension in home stretch. #PhillyisBaltimorepic.twitter.com/E51AD47aRd

— Helen Ubiñas (@NotesFromHeL) May 1, 2015

Protesters confronting some officers near city hall. #PhillyisBaltimorepic.twitter.com/VzYhZVULqu

— Vinny Vella (@Vellastrations) May 1, 2015

As protested started, Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter said he expected it to be a peaceful protest.

“The police civil affairs unit and other components of the Philadelphia Police Department are well prepared to protect the demonstrators and citizens who need to go about their business as well,” he told KYW.

Protesters chanting outside of Philadelphia's federal prison "You are not alone!" pic.twitter.com/DpBT9Pf0nn

— Bill (@DefendWallSt) May 1, 2015