Dozens arrested, traffic blocked in 170 cities on Day 2 of Ferguson protests

Dozens arrested, traffic blocked in 170 cities on Day 2 of Ferguson protests
Over 170 cities across the US have been disrupted by protesters angered by a grand jury’s not to indict the police officer who killed a black teen. More than 40 people were detained overnight as police ordered the rallies off the streets.

New York saw the largest rally, with thousands gathering in Manhattan, Union Square. The demonstrators chanted “No justice, no peace” and held signs “Jail killer cops” and “Justice for Mike Brown.”

Some protesters disrupted traffic, marching between the lanes, with security forces following them.

NYPD Commissioner William Bratton stated they were giving the crowds “breathing room” while they are “non-violent” and don’t “engage in issues that cause fear or create vandalism,” as quoted by AP.

The rally has been mostly peaceful, with only two detentions.

In Newark, New Jersey, a few hundred people also marched peacefully.

However, some protests turned quite nasty. In Minneapolis, a car hit a demonstrator and pushed through several others. A woman was injured in the incident, which is now being looked into by local police. The driver has reportedly contacted officers.

Los Angeles witnessed a police stand-off with the protesters at a freeway off-ramp. Demonstrators also surrounded a police car and attempted to access the city’s police department, leading to clashes with security forces.

In Oakland, California, rallies entered their second day after 43 people were detained during the Monday night rally due to the traffic shutdown.

Three officers were injured in the violence, including one who was hit on the head with a brick, according to Police Chief Sean Whent.

“We will not tolerate assaults on our staff or vandalism and destruction,'' he said, as quoted by AP.

A few hundred people rallied to block the rush-hour traffic in Cleveland, protesting against another fatal police killing incident: the shooting of 12-year-old Tamir Rice on Saturday. The rookie officer thought the pellet gun in the teenager’s hands looked like a real gun, so he pulled the trigger.

In St. Louis, Missouri, demonstrators followed in the footsteps of other cities, shutting down major intersections, a highway, and a Mississippi River bridge.

Several protesters were arrested for sitting in the middle of the road and blocking traffic. Police used pepper spray to crack down on the rally.

Some also came up the steps of the federal courthouse shouting “You didn’t indict! We shall fight!”

Across the country, many students joined the protest movement. A few hundred from Morehouse College and Clark Atlanta University in Georgia - historically black institutions - marched, then tried to block a freeway.

Twenty-one people were detained, the majority for refusing to leave. One person faces a weapons charge.

In Chicago, the crowds left City Hall only after they were warned of possible arrest. Hundreds of people also went to Mayor Rahm Emanuel's office to protest, where people lay on the ground to express their anger.

Portland, Oregon, has seen as many as 1,000 people join the march. Some 300 of them attempted to disrupt bus and light rail traffic, so security forces used pepper spray and arrested a few participants.

In Washington, DC, and Albuquerque, New Mexico, protesters also tried to shut down traffic. However, the rallies were generally peaceful.

The unrest across the US began after the white Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson was not indicted on any charges relating to the fatal shooting of black 18-year-old Michael Brown in August.