Bomb disposal unit deployed in Wigan in connection with Manchester attack investigation

Bomb disposal unit deployed in Wigan in connection with Manchester attack investigation
Residents were forced to leave their homes in Wigan for the second time in five days as a bomb disposal unit was deployed in connection to the Manchester terrorism attack investigation.

Parts of Wigan in Manchester were cordoned off on Thursday after police found “potentially suspicious items” as they searched a house on Springfield Street.

The Army bomb disposal team was again seen driving through the cordon on Tuesday afternoon as residents were told to evacuate their homes.

Officers have been searching the address since Wednesday evening, following the arrest of a man said by witnesses to be carrying a suspicious package.

The cordon closing Wigan Lane, between Central Park Way and the Cherry Gardens, was lifted at about 4.30pm local time, according to Wigan Today.

Twenty-two people, including many teenagers, died when 22-year-old Salman Abedi detonated an explosive as people left an Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena last Monday. 

Officers, who have raided several properties across Manchester as part of their investigation, are appealing for help to find a blue suitcase which Abedi was seen carrying in CCTV prior to the attack.

Fourteen men have been arrested so far and remain in custody as police continue to piece together how the plot unfolded.

Meanwhile, Ariana Grande will perform at Old Trafford cricket ground on Sunday in aid of We Love Manchester, it has been confirmed.

According to TMZ, the concert will feature acts including British bands Coldplay and Take That. Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and Pharrell are also rumored to perform.