Investigation opened into child abuse allegations at charity critical of govt cutbacks
Police announced the investigation was under way Thursday.
“The Metropolitan police service has today, Thursday 30 July, commenced an investigation into a number of allegations of crime involving a children’s charity,” a spokesperson said.
“The investigation is being led by officers from the complex case team of the sexual offences, exploitation and child abuse command.”
In a statement, the charity said: “Kids Company is cooperating fully with the police to assist the investigation into what it understands to be historical but serious allegations but has no further substantive information to date.”
“Kids Company’s first priority is the safety and security of all the children, young people and adults we support and protect,” they added.
“The organization operates robust policies and procedures that ensure all Kids Company’s clients are protected and that staff work safely with clients at all times.”
Since its founding in 1996, Kids Company has earned considerable plaudits for its work from celebrities and even Prime Minister David Cameron.
In July, charismatic founder Camila Batmanghelidjh stepped down as the charity’s chief, criticizing the government heavily over funding as she did so.
She said at the time that Whitehall briefings had spoken negatively of the charity at a time when critical funding, which had previously come through the Cabinet Office, was yet to be allocated.
“This is briefing to avoid the real issues,” she told The Guardian.
“The type of briefing they are now delivering is one in which they are attempting to discredit me, so my message is weakened.”
“I pray to God it is not coming from David Cameron and his team. I still have to have faith he wants to do the right thing by children.”
At the time, she claimed she had been asked to step down in order to secure £3 million in funding.