NFL Draft 2019: Kyler Murray goes to Arizona as Josh Rosen contemplates his future
Despite some late debate over whether they had cooled their interest on the Oklahoma quarterback, the Cardinals eventually went the way most people expected and selected Heisman Trophy-winning Murray with the number one pick.
It made Murray the first athlete to ever be drafted in the first rounds of both the NFL and MLB drafts. But Murray has committed his future to American football over baseball, and will likely slot straight in as the Cardinals' starting quarterback for the upcoming season under new head coach Kliff Kingsbury.
Murray's arrival in Arizona places a huge question mark over the future of Rosen. The former UCLA play-caller was drafted by the Cardinals in the first round in last year's draft after the franchise traded up to get him. But now it seems he's surplus to requirements.
But any hopes the Cardinals had of securing another first-round pick via a Rosen trade faded away when the first day concluded with no deal done.
It remains to be seen if something might happen ahead of - or during the second round, but one of the various quarterback-needy teams still looking to secure a player may be on the phone on Friday as they make their final preparations for Day 2 of the draft.
Murray wasn't the only quarterback drafted on the opening day of the draft. Both the New York Giants and the Washington Redskins were widely tipped to draft new quarterbacks in the first round, and both franchises did just that, with the Giants taking Daniel Jones at number six, and the Redskins taking Dwayne Haskins at number 15.
NFL DRAFT: FIRST-ROUND PICKS
- Arizona Cardinals - Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma
- San Francisco 49ers - Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State
- New York Jets - Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama
- Oakland Raiders - Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Devin White, LB, LSU
- New York Giants - Daniel Jones, QB, Duke
- Jacksonville Jaguars - Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky
- Detroit Lions - TJ Hockenson, TE, Iowa
- Buffalo Bills - Ed Oliver, DT, Houston
- Pittsburgh Steelers - Devin Bush, LB, Michigan
- Cincinnati Bengals - Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama
- Green Bay Packers - Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan
- Miami Dolphins - Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
- Atlanta Falcons - Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College
- Washington Redskins - Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State
- Carolina Panthers - Brian Burns, EDGE, Florida State
- New York Giants - Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson
- Minnesota Vikings - Garrett Bradbury, C, North Carolina State
- Tennessee Titans - Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State
- Denver Broncos - Noah Fant, TE, Iowa
- Green Bay Packers - Darnell Savage, S, Maryland
- Philadelphia Eagles - Andre Dillard, T, Washington State
- Houston Texans - Tytus Howard, T, Alabama State
- Oakland Raiders - Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama
- Baltimore Ravens - Marquise Brown - WR, Oklahoma
- Washington Redskins - Montez Sweat - EDGE, Mississippi State
- Oakland Raiders - Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State
- Los Angeles Chargers - Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame
- Seattle Seahawks - LJ Collier, DE, Texas Christian
- New York Giants - Dendre Baker, CB, Georgia
- Atlanta Falcons - Kaleb McGary, T, Washington
- New England Patriots - N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State