Sri Lanka blasts: ‘Some links’ to ISIS possible, 4th hotel targeted, might be more attacks, PM says
The country’s authorities are monitoring Islamic State recruits who have returned to the country, PM Ranil Wickremesinghe said on Tuesday.
So far, only Sri Lankan citizens have been arrested in connection with the attacks, the PM said. However, some of the suspected bombers had traveled abroad and returned home before carrying out the massacre.
The bombings of Christian churches and luxury hotels, which killed over 300 people, might have been in retaliation to the Christchurch mosque shooting in New Zealand, the official added. A fourth hotel was also a terrorist target, yet the attack failed, according to the PM.Also on rt.com Sri Lanka bombings ‘retaliation’ for New Zealand mosques massacre – minister
Shortly before Wickremasinghe held the press conference, IS claimed responsibility for the attacks through its propaganda mouthpiece Amaq. While the group did not provide any evidence to back up the claims, Sri Lankan authorities are taking the statement seriously.
“We will be following up on IS claims, we believe there may be links,” Wickremasinghe stated.
Wickremasinghe revealed that the country’s intelligence units received information about the bombing plot beforehand and that a specific tip-off came from India. The investigation into the blasts is receiving international support as well. The FBI revealed that it is assisting Sri Lankan authorities.Also on rt.com Chilling VIDEO shows suspected Sri Lanka church bomber moments before explosion
Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!