Local militants had intl help in carrying out Easter Sunday attacks – Sri Lanka’s health minister
“We do not believe these attacks were carried out by a group of people who were confined to this country,” Minister of Health, Nutrition and Indigenous Medicine Rajitha Senaratne said on Monday.
He stated that there was “an international network,” without which the attacks “could not have succeeded.”
Suicide bombers set off explosives in several hotels and Catholic churches in different parts of Sri Lanka. An apartment complex was also targeted, and a bomb found near Colombo International Airport was defused.Also on rt.com Easter tragedy: What we know so far about the deadly attacks in Sri Lanka
A total of 24 people were arrested in connection with the attack. No one has yet claimed responsibility for the bombings, but Senaratne said that the attackers belonged to Islamist group National Thowheeth Jama’ath (NTJ). All of the suicide bombers were Sri Lankan nationals, the minister said.
The government, meanwhile, extended a curfew in the country’s largest city, Colombo, and is set to declare a nationwide emergency, the official said.
Overall, 290 people were killed in the attacks, and hundreds more were injured.
Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!