icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm

India shows-off next-gen BrahMos supersonic missile at arms expo

India shows-off next-gen BrahMos supersonic missile at arms expo
A mock-up of the future air-launched cruise missile BrahMos-NG has been showcased at the Aero India exhibition in India. It’s a smaller version of the Russian-Indian projectile suitable for smaller aircraft.

First flight tests of the missile being developed by Indo-Russian joint venture BrahMos Aerospace are expected to take place in three to four years, the company’s IT director, Praveen Pathak, said.

BrahMos-NG (the ‘NG’ stands for ‘Next Generation’) is a smaller version of the air-launched version of the supersonic missile, the regular version of which uses the large Su-30MKI as a platform.

The mock-up of the newer version was shown mounted on two hardpoints of a HAL Tejas fighter jet of the Indian Air Force, which has half the payload capacity of the Sukhoi warplane. The Russian-built MIG-29 and the Su-30MKI can also be armed with the smaller missile, of course.

Also on rt.com India fires world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile from Russian Su-30 fighter jet

The BrahMos-NG is expected to weigh about 1.5 tons and have a length of five meters, compared to the 2.5 tons and eight meters of the BrahMos-A currently in service. It will have a range of 300km and a cruise speed of up to 3.5 Mach.

The missile family originates from the Granit Soviet/Russian anti-ship missile, from which a ramjet engine was adapted and improved for the joint venture. The Indian side contributed the electronics part, including the guidance system. BrahMos was first developed in naval and ground-launched versions, with an air-launched version arriving in the late 2000s.

BrahMos Aerospace is an Indo-Russian joint venture established in 1998 in India following an intergovernmental agreement between the two countries. A 50.5 percent share of the company is owned by India, while Russia owns the remaining 49.5 percent.

Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!

Dear readers and commenters,

We have implemented a new engine for our comment section. We hope the transition goes smoothly for all of you. Unfortunately, the comments made before the change have been lost due to a technical problem. We are working on restoring them, and hoping to see you fill up the comment section with new ones. You should still be able to log in to comment using your social-media profiles, but if you signed up under an RT profile before, you are invited to create a new profile with the new commenting system.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and looking forward to your future comments,

RT Team.