icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm
7 Apr, 2018 21:58

Brazil’s ex-President Lula ends standoff & surrenders to police

Brazil’s ex-President Lula ends standoff & surrenders to police

Brazil’s former President Lula da Silva has ended a 24-hour standoff between his supporters and federal authorities and has turned himself in to begin serving a 12-year sentence on corruption charges, which he is still appealing.

Da Silva had remained inside the Metal Workers Union’s headquarters in Sao Paulo, surrounded by hundreds of supporters, ever since Federal Judge Sergio Moro on Thursday issued a warrant for the 72-year-old’s arrest.

READ MORE: Brazil’s ex-President Lula defies jailing deadline shielded by hundreds of supporters (VIDEO)

Although he missed the initial deadline to surrender by Friday afternoon, da Silva, known as Lula, handed himself over to authorities on Saturday evening, after the rejection of his final plea to stay out of jail while the appeal was pending.

Earlier, da Silva had addressed his supporters for almost an hour, telling them he was “ready” to obey the law and to accept his prison term. In his 55-minute-long speech, which was broadcast live on television, Lula continued to maintain his innocence. “The police and 'Car Wash' investigators lied. The prosecutors lied,” said da Silva. “I don't forgive them for giving society the idea that I am a thief.”

READ MORE: 'US doesn't want strong & independent Brazil backing Latin America' – Brazil's Lula da Silva

Announcing his decision to surrender, the politician noted that he will go behind bars so that he can “face them eye-to-eye.”

“The more days they leave me (in jail), the more Lulas will be born in this country,” he added, to a crowd clearly disappointed with his decision.

“Free Lula!” they chanted, before his supporters carried him on their shoulders back into the union building.

Several hours later, he walked out from the union building and surrendered, to be taken to the southern city of Curitiba to begin serving a 12-year sentence for alleged corruption and money-laundering.

On Saturday night, Lula was flown by helicopter to military police headquarters in the southern city of Curitiba. Clashes between police and the former president’s supporters erupted outside the building. Officers used rubber bullets and stun grenades to disperse demonstrators.

Later, at least nine people, including one child and a military police officer, were injured in the clashes, Brazil’s Globo TV reported. Others were demonstrators who opposed Lula’s arrest. Some of them were injured by rubber bullets when the protest turned violent, according to the broadcaster. 

Throughout the whole ordeal, Lula has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and declared himself a victim of political persecution. Speaking to Ecuador’s former president Rafael Correa on RT last month, Lula argued that corruption charges have become an “instrument in the moral and ethical fight against opponents.”

You can watch the full interview below.

Lula said there was a massive media campaign against him and another former Brazilian president, Dilma Rousseff. “There is a conspiracy in Brazil between the media, the judiciary, the prosecution service and police,” said Lula. Arguing that it is in the best interest for his country to disentangle itself from the American influence, Lula told RT that a prosperous Brazil is not in Washington’s interests.

Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!