18yo German-Iranian goes on shooting rampage in Munich: Facts known so far

A screen grab taken from video footage shows police officers near the Olympia shopping mall following a shooting rampage in Munich, Germany July 22, 2016. © Reuters TV
The Munich gunman had no connection to Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS), police officials said, pointing out his inclination to killing sprees that took place in the past, including the 2011 Utoya shooting, and an alleged psychiatric disorder.

LIVE UPDATES on Munich mall shooting 

READ LATEST: 18yo German-Iranian goes on shooting rampage, kills 9 in Munich 

Massacre location

The rampage took place at the Olympia mall, one of Munich’s biggest shopping centers, and at an adjacent McDonald’s at around 5:50pm local time on Friday. The gunman opened indiscriminate fire at city’s residents sending them running in panic. Shots were fired both inside the mall and on nearby streets, with disturbing footage showing the assailant firing at people in front of the fast food restaurant.

10 dead, at least 27 injured

The shooting left 10 people dead including one person who died in a hospital and the shooter himself. At least 27 others were injured, some critically, police spokesman Marcus da Gloria Martins said. All of the dead bodies were found in or around the Olympia mall.

Perpetrator’s identity

Although initial reports said at least three gunmen were at large, police later announced that only one shooter is most likely to have carried out the rampage. “We found a man who killed himself. We assume that he was the only shooter,” Munich police department announced.

The attacker was identified as an 18-year-old German-Iranian, later named "David S." in an unsourced report by Spiegel

Incomprehensible motives

The shooters motives “are still unclear” according to police, despite various speculation online ranging from nationalism to terrorism. While they the incident was dubbed a terror attack police said there was “no indication” of links to radicalism. 

Munich shooting not connected to refugees or ISIS - Bavaria police chief

The investigation is focusing on the gunman's motives and his social circle to find out if the shooting was a lone-wolf attack or an act of terror, the police told TASS later on Saturday. The shooter's connection to any terror group is yet unconfirmed.

Later on Saturday, police said forensic units had found no evidence pointing to Islamic State-related (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) links in his flat. However, Bavarian Police Chief Hubertus Andrae told a news conference on Saturday they retrieved documents related to killing sprees, including a book describing the rationale behind school shootings.

No organization immediately claimed responsibility for the shooting. However, Islamic State’s supporters have been reportedly celebrating online. Police warned against speculations about the attack.

Other facts

Following the incident Munich was placed under a state of emergency. The city went into lockdown and significant parts of the city’s transport systems were suspended. A special hotline has been set up for concerned citizens, Germany's Interior Ministry said. Citizens were urged to stay home.

Late Friday night police were examining the backpack on the dead man believed to be the only perpetrator for possible explosives which was found one kilometer (0.6 miles) away from the mall.

The 18-year-old shooter used a 9mm Glock semiautomatic pistol and carried 300 rounds in his rucksack, police officials told reporters later on Saturday. It is still unclear whether he was an experienced shooter, but Glock pistols are common among special forces and the military worldwide, and are known for their accuracy and reliability.

It was also revealed that the shooter had created a fake Facebook account, signing in under the female name "Selina Akim" to urge people to come to the mall for a food giveaway, according to the Daily Telegraph. "I can buy you something that's not too expensive," the shooter wrote. 

Shooting rampage at Munich mall continues EU terror trend

Munich attack is the second attack in Germany in less than a week. On Monday a 17-year-old axe-wielding Afghan injured four people on a train near the Bavarian city of Wuerzburg and another woman outside while he was fleeing the scene.