At least 3 killed, dozens injured in chemical plant blast in India - media
The incident took place at a plant belonging to the Acharya chemical company in the town of Dombivli (Dombivali), Mumbai Metropolitan Region.
The explosion was reportedly in a boiler inside the plant.
Visuals from site of fire break out after a blast in a boiler of a chemical factory in Mumbai, Maharashtra. pic.twitter.com/WHQIfy7tku— ANI (@ANI_news) May 26, 2016
The area has been cordoned off by police and the injured have been transported to local hospitals, Indian Daily News & Analysis reported.
Dombivli (Dombivali), with a population over 1.2 million people, is about 50 km from Mumbai.
The mayor of the Kalyan-Dombivli Municipal Corporation, Rajendra Devlekar, confirmed the death of three people, as cited by the Times of India.
Some people are feared trapped in the plant, initial reports suggest.
Factory exploded in Dombivli MIDC... impact at various places.... glasses clashed down pic.twitter.com/9hiZMLYNVq— Anjali Jha (@Anji_jha) May 26, 2016
According to reports from India’s NDTV, at least 150 people have been injured in the blast.
Just In, There’s been a boiler blast at Acharya Chemicals in the MIDC area of Dombivli. pic.twitter.com/nUHc5Lidlr— Sandesh (@sandy626240) May 26, 2016
At least six near-by buildings have been damaged in the explosion, the Times of India said, adding that the blast led to a fire. Firefighters reportedly arrived at the scene and are currently battling the flames.
Devendra Fadnavis, Chief Minister of Maharashtra State, where Dombivli is located, tweeted about the incident.
Saddened to know about the unfortunate & tragic incident that took place at Dombivali.— Devendra Fadnavis (@Dev_Fadnavis) May 26, 2016
Local residents said they felt vibrations in the area, adding that the blast shattered window panes.
“We all got scared...thought it was a bomb explosion...I was shocked to see that the window panes were broken and that cracks appeared in walls,” Aditya Patwardhan, who works nearby, told the Hindustan Times.
One more local resident, Pooja Prasad, told Indian Daily News & Analysis that “everyone thought it was an earthquake. Everyone has been vacated from the building as of now.”
“In our house all the glass utensils have broken down and our neighbor's window panes have also been shattered,” Dr. Mahendra Kalyankar, a local resident, told Mid Day newspaper.