icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm

Released military observer: ‘We were shot at by Ukrainian army’

Released military observer: ‘We were shot at by Ukrainian army’
Forces loyal to Kiev opened fire on military observers from OSCE nations after anti-government activists in Slavyansk released them. The group was shot at on the road to Donetsk, Czech Lt. Col. Josef Přerovský said in an interview with a local newspaper.

“We exited Slavyansk and headed in the direction of Donetsk. Having passed the first line of Ukrainian units, consisting of armored personnel carriers, we moved on to Kramatorsk, arriving at another Ukrainian military checkpoint, which refused to grant us passage. They opened fire on us. At that point things really took a turn for the worse,” Přerovský, who was among the observers, Itar-Tass reported the Pravo newspaper as saying.

“We somehow managed to reach Kiev by phone, but this changed nothing. In the end we had to bypass Kramatorsk and travel on virgin soil, which is very dangerous. What was most upsetting was getting pulled over by the Ukrainian army, which was supposed to be assisting us,” Přerovský said.

Přerovský said the police in Donetsk were a big help – the same people who supported the anti-Kiev elements in Slavyansk. The Czech official recounted how the path for the bus was cleared with the help of a police car riding in front.

When asked whether the supposed Russian military incursion was in fact taking place, Přerovský reported seeing “no Russian regular military units” in Slavyansk, adding that the group “was not subjected to physical violence or denied food.”

However, he did say that it was a psychologically strenuous experience, as fighting was taking place just outside the entire time.

The 12 military observers were captured by eastern Ukraine’s self-defense forces on April 25 and spent just over a week in captivity as they were accused of espionage. Earlier one of the detained – a Swedish officer suffering from diabetes – was released.

Later arriving to Donetsk, Col. Igor Turansky, who heads the Ukrainian military mission to the OSCE also added that the observers were treated fine and there were no complaints. Explaining their predicament, he’d said they were captured by the self-defense forces because of a coordination mix-up. He noted that the observers “did not coordinate their actions with the representatives of the locals.”

Vladimir Lukin, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s special representative to Ukraine, oversaw the release of the observers. Lukin stressed that the move by the self-defense forces wasn't a bargain. "It was a voluntary humanitarian act, and we're very grateful for it to those controlling the city," he said.

Dear readers and commenters,

We have implemented a new engine for our comment section. We hope the transition goes smoothly for all of you. Unfortunately, the comments made before the change have been lost due to a technical problem. We are working on restoring them, and hoping to see you fill up the comment section with new ones. You should still be able to log in to comment using your social-media profiles, but if you signed up under an RT profile before, you are invited to create a new profile with the new commenting system.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and looking forward to your future comments,

RT Team.