icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm

Indian Air Force to get world's only supersonic air-launched cruise missile (VIDEO)

Indian Air Force to get world's only supersonic air-launched cruise missile (VIDEO)
The Indo-Russian joint venture BrahMos Aerospace has announced plans to start work on an advanced version of a supersonic air-launched cruise missile. The BrahMos-2 will be tested this year.

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has placed the first order for the air-launched adaptation of the cruise missile, according to BrahMos Aerospace CEO Sudhir Kumar Mishra. He declined to comment on the number of missiles in the contract.

READ MORE: Russia completes delivery of military helicopters to India

The new missile is to be integrated into the Sukhoi-30 MKI multirole fighter. The land version of the missile is currently used in the Indian Army. As BrahMos-2 is the heaviest missile ever flown on a Su-30, the aircraft will undergo structural modifications to accommodate the load.

Modeled on the original design, BrahMos 2 is a supersonic cruise missile powered by an air-breathing engine. It will be capable of reaching speeds up to Mach 7 (or 5,238 mph). BrahMos-2 is 'the war winner missile' according to Sivathanu Pillai, the founder of the aerospace company.

BrahMos Aerospace started in 1998 and took its name from two rivers, the Brahmaputra and the Moscow. India is the majority shareholder in the company, with a 50.5 percent share stake. Russia owns the remaining 49.5 percent.

Dear readers and commenters,

We have implemented a new engine for our comment section. We hope the transition goes smoothly for all of you. Unfortunately, the comments made before the change have been lost due to a technical problem. We are working on restoring them, and hoping to see you fill up the comment section with new ones. You should still be able to log in to comment using your social-media profiles, but if you signed up under an RT profile before, you are invited to create a new profile with the new commenting system.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and looking forward to your future comments,

RT Team.

Podcasts