Turkish man sneaks into NATO airbase to take pics with Hollywood celebs on tour - reports
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Marine Corps General Joseph Dunford arrived at the airbase in southern Turkey earlier this week. Accompanied by the famous American actress Johansson, actor Chris Evans and a group of celebrity athletes, the group aimed to boost the morale of US soldiers ahead of Christmas.
The annual ‘Holiday Tour’, organized by the United Service Organizations (USO), kicked off with a performance for troops fighting against Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL), the US Department of Defense reported. Yet the excitement wasn't only limited to US servicemen and women, as somehow one local man - claiming to be "the only civil" guest at the party - is believed to have sneaked in.
US nukes in Turkey vulnerable to ‘terrorists & other hostile forces’ – think tank https://t.co/OGJH1pV57p— RT (@RT_com) August 15, 2016
Turkish media have been publishing reports of an unnamed man who apparently compromised security at the airbase, used by the US-led coalition to fight terrorists in the Middle East. The man apparently took pictures with his favorite celebs and posted them on social media.
"There were heavy security measures inside, FBI, CIA and other special security guards were there," the excited gatecrasher was cited as saying by Hurriyet Daily. But he "took the risk," the man claimed, adding "I got to find a way to the base, I'd push the boundaries for Scarlett."
"Nobody said anything" while he was enjoying himself in the company of Hollywood A-listers and taking a number of pictures, he was quoted as saying.
The man then apparently proceeded to an airfield, where he saw "F-16s and all kinds of warplanes." He had no ID and was not wearing a uniform, the reports said. After some more selfies, the man decided to leave.
It wasn't immediately clear how the resourceful fan had entered the base, with the man himself claiming he’d not had permission to be there. According to the Daily Sabah, though, his name was on the visitor list through a friend with access to the military compound.
US authorities have launched an investigation following the incident, Turkish media reported, saying that only high-ranking soldiers are allowed to enter the NATO base.