icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm
9 Jul, 2016 14:27

Teen finds dead body while looking for Pokemon with phone game

Teen finds dead body while looking for Pokemon with phone game

A 19-year-old stumbled upon a dead body while searching for a Pokemon with an augmented reality game she was playing on her smartphone.

Shayla Wiggins said she came across the body of a man as she was playing the game on her phone near the Big Wind River in Wyoming.

The ‘Pokemon Go’ augmented reality game was launched earlier in the week and requires players to visit various real world locations to “capture” virtual Pokemon.

READ MORE: Police prevent potential massacre at Boston Pokemon World Championship

The teen told County 10 she was playing the game at a stage that required getting Pokemon from a natural water resource when she found a man’s body floating in the river.

“I was walking towards the bridge along the shore when I saw something in the water,” Wiggins told the news outlet. “I had to take a second look and I realized it was a body.”

Police said the man’s death appeared to be accidental and could potentially be the result of drowning, but an investigation is ongoing.

In a statement, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office said there was no evidence of “foul play.”

“Further details as to the circumstances surrounding the death will be released after preliminary autopsy results are received and we have a clearer picture of what occurred,” the office added.

Wiggins was left shaken by the find and the “scary situation” in general.

“It was pretty shocking,” she added. “I didn’t really know what to do at first. But I called 911 right away and they came really quickly.”