icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm

Injuries reported as huge blaze with multiple EXPLOSIONS engulfs pyrotechnics warehouse in sweltering central Moscow (VIDEO)

Four people have sustained minor injuries after a large fire broke out at a pyrotechnics warehouse in central Moscow on Saturday. Multiple videos from the scene captured fireworks exploding while smoke billowed across the city.

Clips taken by eyewitnesses showed a large plume of gray smoke over the center of the sweltering Russian capital, which is in the grip of a summer heat wave.

The building concerned, which is reportedly a warehouse of a fireworks manufacturer, is located across the Moscow River from Gorky Park, close to the Luzhniki Stadium, which hosted the 1980 Summer Olympics and the final of the 2018 FIFA World Cup. The location of the raging fire is right next to a pyrotechnics store literally named ‘Kaboom,' in Russian.

Footage shows a barrage of small explosions occurring both in the building and in the sky above it.

Three firefighters and one of the warehouse employees were hurt in the fire, Moscow Deputy Mayor Pyotr Biryukov revealed on Saturday evening.

The blaze, which spanned an area of some 500 square meters, required a major operation from the emergencies services. Three helicopters and a firefighting vessel were deployed to help ground teams quench the fire, with Kamov Ka-32s helicopters filmed scooping water from the Moscow River to pour it on the burning building.

An electrical short-circuit was behind the blaze, according to a source in the emegency services.

The blaze was contained four hours after it began.

Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!

Dear readers and commenters,

We have implemented a new engine for our comment section. We hope the transition goes smoothly for all of you. Unfortunately, the comments made before the change have been lost due to a technical problem. We are working on restoring them, and hoping to see you fill up the comment section with new ones. You should still be able to log in to comment using your social-media profiles, but if you signed up under an RT profile before, you are invited to create a new profile with the new commenting system.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and looking forward to your future comments,

RT Team.