FSB chief says terrorist threat in Russia ‘under control’

Director of the Federal Security Service Alexander Bortnikov © Michael Klimentyev
The head of Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) has told reporters that his agency has the terrorist threat in the country under control, but also admitted it was impossible to give a 100 percent guarantee of safety.

We are monitoring the processes in development. Currently the situation is under control. There are no 100 percent guarantees, but still I personally think that we can say now that all [terror] attempts are uncovered and prevented in time,” RIA Novosti quoted FSB Director Aleksandr Bortnikov as saying on Wednesday.

The terrorist threats exist, bearing in mind the problems that we face every day. We do all we can to obtain firsthand information, we concentrate on prevention,” the Russian security chief added.

The comments came the day after a series of deadly blasts hit the Belgian capital Brussels, killing dozens of people and injuring scores more. The Islamic State terrorist group (IS, formerly ISIL/ISIS) has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

READ MORE: ‘Halfwit’: Medvedev blasts Ukraine security chief for implicating Russia in Brussels attacks

The head of the Interior Ministry’s directorate for Moscow City, Anatoly Yakunin, told reporters on Wednesday that police in Moscow were taking extra measures, similar to the ones that were introduced in September 2015 when the Russian Air Force began combat sorties against terrorist positions in Syria. The police chief said that duty details had been reinforced and additional raids were being held where large groups of foreign citizens live.

On Tuesday, several senior Russian lawmakers condemned the Brussels terror acts and called on all nations to end their wrangling and unite in the face of the common threat of Islamic extremism and terrorism.

READ MORE: Duma chief urges global anti-terror alliance after Brussels attacks