Colombia refutes claims it's behind failed assassination of Venezuela’s Maduro
Colombia’s ministry of foreign affairs has vehemently denied the country has been involved in the attempt on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro's life on Saturday. The ministry issued a strongly-worded statement, calling the claims of its involvement “absurd” and “lacking all foundation” after Maduro said that he had “no doubt that the name [of Colombian President] Juan Manuel Santos is behind this attack." The ministry demanded “respect” for Santos, the Colombian authorities and its people, accusing Maduro of making a scapegoat out of Bogota on any occasion. Santos has repeatedly predicted “regime change” in Venezuela, that is battling with a severe economic slump and soaring inflation. Earlier this week, he alleged that Maduro’s days at the helm of the country are numbered. "I can see it [Maduro's ouster] happening in the near future," he said.