Qatari forces participate in Gulf war games, compromise seen among Arab states

Qatari forces’ participation in joint military exercises that ended in Saudi Arabia this week is seen as an apparent sign of some compromise among the Arab states locked in a nearly year-long dispute, Reuters said. Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt cut diplomatic, trade and transport ties with Qatar last June, accusing it of supporting terrorism. Doha denies that charge. A senior US official said last month that the countries had agreed to resume participation in military exercises. Qatari armed forces Chief of Staff General Ghanem bin Shaheen Al Ghanim was present on Monday at a closing ceremony, attended by Saudi King Salman and other heads of state, for the Gulf Shield drills, the Qatari military said in a statement. The Saudi government media office has not commented on the military cooperation with Qatar.