Serbian ultra-nationalists rally for Karadzic
Radovan Karadzic's lawyer says he’s doing all he can to delay his client's extradition to the UN tribunal in The Hague. Svetozar Vujacic says Serb authorities want to transfer the war crimes suspect before Tuesday evenin
A panel of judges in Serbia's war crimes court has three days to decide if Karadzic is to be extradited.
A last-minute appeal against the extradition was posted late on Friday in a remote part of Serbia.
But the War Crimes Court in Belgrade, which is dealing with the case, says the documents hadn't arrived by the start of working hours on Monday.
Radovan Karadzic, aged 63, faces eleven charges, including genocide and war crimes during the Bosnian war in the 1990s. He is accused of orchestrating the massacre of 8,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica in 1995 and organizing the shelling of Sarajevo, which killed about 12,000 people.
Serbia’s President Boris Tadic has welcomed his capture, saying anyone responsible for crimes in the former Yugoslavia has to face justice. He says his capture shows that those in power in Serbia respect both national and international law.
The family of war crimes suspect Radovan Karadzic have been banned from going to Belgrade to see their relative. The travel ban was put in place earlier this year at the request of the UN tribunal.
Police confiscated the travel documents of Karadzic's wife Ljiljana Zelen-Karadzic, son Aleksandar, daughter Sonja and son-in-law Branislav Jovicic because of suspicions they helped the former wartime leader avoid capture for more than a decade.
However, two of Karadzic’s brothers have visited him in his Belgrade cell.
Speaking exclusively to RT in Belgrade, Luka Karadzic said the resurgence of Russia might help in the case. He said a strong Russia meant a strong Serbia, which could influence how the case was handled in The Hague.