Rescue operation wrapping up in Haiti
Rescuers in Haiti have found two people alive ten days after a devastating earthquake hit the island state. A 22-year-old man and an 84-year-old woman were both pulled out from the rubble.
Meanwhile, most emergency teams are winding down search operations and switching to getting food, water and medical supplies to survivors. According to UN sources, at least 132 people have been rescued over the course of 10 days.
Itar-Tass news agency has reported that rescuers from the Russian Emergency Ministry, who had been sent to Haiti, have returned home on Saturday.
Russian doctors, as well as a mobile hospital, will stay for two more weeks in the country, assisting the injured.
US private security companies are reportedly preparing to set up shop in Haiti. However, RT contributor Wayne Madsen says that their presence brings more danger than security.
“There is very little oversight for these companies when they arrive on a scene, because in some cases they have very close connections with the military, with the intelligence,” said Madsen.
“We know about their track record in places like Afghanistan, Iraq, killing civilians on the street. That is the last thing the countries like Haiti need right now. They have had too many deaths and the last thing they need is a bunch of these gun-toting cowboys coming in there, threatening people and shooting people,” he added.
Over 100,000 people were killed by last week's earthquake, with two million more left homeless.