Hostages freed in Ingolstadt City Hall drama ahead of Merkel visit
“No hostages were injured during the rescue operation. The
gunman sustained injuries, but is alive,” a local police
source told RIA Novosti.
Police spokesman Guenther Beck said the hostages were held on the second floor of the city hall and that they were in contact with the hostage-taker.
Third mayor of Ingolstadt, Sepp Misslbeck, was among the hostages, but was later released by his captor. The gunman kept holding two hostages — a man and a woman — until the Special Forces intervened.
The hostage-taker was said to be armed and the area around the building has been evacuated as a precautionary measure. However, it was not immediately clear if the gun was real. Police were said to be in contact with the captor but have refrained from commenting on his possible motives and demands.
German paper Donaukurier wrote that the perpetrator might have been a 23-year-old man who was issued with a restraining order for stalking a 25-year-old-woman working at the city hall. Reports say that the hostage-taker had been receiving psychiatric help.
Germany will hold national election on September 22 and Merkel
was due in the city for a campaign rally this afternoon.