icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm
12 Jan, 2008 03:22

Fraud claims emerge in US presidential race

A U.S. election watchdog claims to have spotted discrepancies between machine and manually counted ballots in the New Hampshire primary election. New Hampshire officials have agreed to do a manual recount.

The allegations came from Black Box Voting, a non-profit organisation funded by citizen’s donations. It claims it has indications of fraud in the New Hampshire primaries.
80 per cent of the votes there were counted by machines, the remaining 20 per cent by hand.

In the machine count, Hillary Clinton defeated Barack Obama by about five per cent, but in the hand count the result was the opposite – Obama was the winner with the same margin.  

The allegations could have a negative impact on Hillary Clinton’s campaign and boost Obama.

They come as presidential hopefuls are making their way around the country, in a race which will determine the candidates for the November presidential poll.

There are also problems with the votes for republican Ron Paul in the second precinct.

Earlier, it was reported that he received zero votes. But after one of the voters claimed that he voted for Paul, there was a recount.  It showed that Paul received 31 votes, which were lost due to human error.