23 evacuated following air mattress explosion in Germany

23 evacuated following air mattress explosion in Germany
It’s sad to be unlucky, but it’s twice as sad when your run of bad luck turns on you neighbors. A man in the German town of Duesseldorf forced the evacuation of a whole block after a ‘poor blast’ of his … air mattress.

45-year-old Brandt B. hoped to spend the day along a river bank with his family but, alas, his air mattress sprung a leak, German express.de reports. Instead of using special mattress glue, the creative German decided to use a tire repair solvent to fix the problem.

After the first stage was completed, he only needed to inflate the mattress. But again, instead of using a hand pump, he trusted it to electricity. However, the mattress exploded after a spark from an electric pump ignited the glue.

The blast caused a wall to collapse in the building. While the man was not injured in the accident, his three-year-old daughter suffered burns to her arm.

Following the explosion, 23 people were evacuated from the building. Damage from the accident is estimated at around 20,000 euros ($28,000).