Over 400 casualties, massive destruction in Ecuador struck by 7.8 quake
18 April 201604:08 GMT
- 03:53 GMT
The death toll from the powerful earthquake has soared to 272, President Rafael Correa announced.
- 03:36 GMT
- 03:32 GMT
At least 370 buildings were destroyed, and 151 more buildings including 26 schools were affected.
- 02:18 GMT
- 01:32 GMT
Vice President Jorge Glas said that 10,000 military troops and 3,500 police officers had been dispatched to the affected areas and that $600 million in credit was allotted to the emergency.
- 01:24 GMT
According to the latest government tally on Sunday evening, Saturday's quake killed 262 people and injured up to 2,500.
- 00:28 GMT
17 April 201623:25 GMT
More than 1,200 Red Cross volunteers were also helping to render first aid and search for an unspecified number of missing people, the country's vice president said.
Jorge Glas also said that heavy machinery couldn't be used in search and rescue because it could put wounded people at greater risk. He pleaded with people to "be quiet so rescuers can listen for survivors."
- 22:57 GMT