12 killed, 66 injured in suicide bombing at Nigerian market

Kano, Nigeria. © Wikipedia
Two large explosions triggered by suicide bombers have killed 12 people and wounding 66 at a mobile phone market in Kano, Nigeria’s main northern city.

A Red Cross official, who did not want to be named, said “66 were injured and 12 killed” in the attack, according to Reuters.

Kano state police commissioner, Muhammad Katsina, had said earlier that two suicide bombers killed 15 people and wounded 53 at the market.

Two traders at the Farm Centre market, Nafiu Mohammed and Suleiman Haruna, told AFP that the explosions were felt “deep inside” the market shortly after 4:00 pm local time.

The blasts went off during late afternoon prayers.

Wednesday’s attack comes just one day after a blast left 32 people dead and 80 injured at a market in the northeastern city of Yola.

READ MORE: 32 dead, 80 injured in Nigeria market blast

No one has yet claimed responsibility for the act, but a Wednesday report revealed that Boko Haram, a Nigerian radical Islamist group, has killed more people in terror attacks than Islamic State.