Taliban claims responsibility for suicide attack in Kabul

© Manjunath Kiran
Twin suicide bombings were reported in Kabul on Monday evening near the Afghan parliament and the Russian Embassy. The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The explosions took place on Darul-Aman Road and are believed to have targeted the home of Naeem Baloch, former Helmand governor and ex-head of the Afghan spy agency, TOLO News reported.

An Interior Ministry official confirmed the bombing, adding that it had taken place at a guesthouse, according to the New York Times.

Heavy fighting continued into the night, Pajhwok Afghan News reported citing locals, who said that over 10 blasts had been heard since the attack.

Reports said that there could be gunmen holed up in nearby buildings.

Continuous gunfire could be heard in the area, TOLO News cited eye-witnesses as saying.

Baloch told Pajhwok Afghan News that he left the house before the attack took place.

Power has been cut in the area and families were being evacuated, local media report said. Security forces have cordoned off the roads around the scene of the bombings.

At least three people were injured in the attack, sources told Pajhwok Afghan News.