Ottawa remains in partial lockdown as police scour the streets for perpetrators of multiple shootings across the Canadian capital. A soldier and one gunman have been killed, and two victims are in hospital with gunshot wounds.
23 October 201405:17 GMT
In an address to the nation following the shooting, Canadian PM Stephen Harper extended his condolences to the family and friends of Corporal Nathan Cirillo who was “murdered in cold blood, as he provided a ceremonial honor guard at Canada's National War Memorial,” as well as to Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent who was killed earlier this week by “an ISIL-inspired terrorist.” Harper reminded the country that such incidences “are a grim reminder that Canada is not immune to the types of terrorist attacks we have seen elsewhere around the world.”
- 01:38 GMT
As of now, Parliament scheduled to resume as normal with (very) routine votes at 10 a.m. Tomorrow, per sources.— Josh Wingrove (@josh_wingrove) October 23, 2014
- 01:05 GMT
Ottawa police have lifted the safety lockdown in the downtown, but the area in the immediate vicinity of the Parliament building remains off limits.
“The ongoing police investigation in the downtown core has determined that there no longer exists a threat to public safety in the area,” the police said in a statement. “However, the police operation continues on Parliament Hill and as such the Hill continues to be off limits to the public.”
- 00:30 GMT
Addressing the nation from an undisclosed location, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said the country will never be intimidated by something like the two outrageous attacks that killed two soldiers this week.
“We will not be intimidated. Canada will never be intimidated,” Harper said, adding that quite the opposite this will “lead us to strengthen our resolve and redouble our efforts – and those of our national security agencies – to take all necessary steps to identify and counter threats and keep Canada safe here at home.”
- 00:18 GMT
Canada is one of our closest friends, allies and partners in the world. We stand in solidarity with our neighbor to the north.— Susan Rice (@AmbassadorRice) October 23, 2014
- 22:43 GMT
CBC Ottawa has published a photo of the gunman in Ottawa shooting identified as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau. Globe and Mail reports that the suspect was designated a high-risk traveller, and his passport had been seized.
— CBC Ottawa (@CBCOttawa) October 22, 2014
- 22:30 GMT
We can confirm that all three patients involved in today’s incident have been discharged. We wish them a speedy recovery.— The Ottawa Hospital (@OttawaHospital) October 22, 2014
- 21:12 GMT
Police have reduced in size the safety perimeter in Downtown Ottawa, as the investigation continues following two shooting incidents.
Safety perimeter: Lyon to Elgin St, Albert to Wellington St, and East of Canal Rideau. Mackenzie Ave is also closed. pic.twitter.com/mqDzD2JmDK
— Ottawa Police (@OttawaPolice) October 22, 2014
“If you are within the safety perimeter, please stay inside your building until further notice,” police said in a statement. “If you are in the downtown area but outside the perimeter, you can exit your building but please stay off the streets in the safety perimeter until further notice.”